When I was a kid we would spend hours thinking of a Halloween costume and then my mom would make it or as we got older and thought homemade tiger costumes were not cool enough we would wear a tie died t-shirt and jeans and call ourselves a hippie. Now I am no fool and I know my moms sewing talents are many. But I think mainly she was just creative with what we had and a store bought accessory or two completed the outfit.
So this is where I get mad at myself. This is the third year my laziness has reached an all time high and I agreed to buy costumes for my boys. They are outrageously overpriced screen printed, see-though-thin pieces of fabric held together by a couple strips of velcro and by Halloween will be full of snags. So why did I not learn my lesson from years past? Because I like to tell myself that by the time I collect and purchase any needed costume parts to make my own little Darth Vadar (x's 2, yes we have 2 kids wearing the same thing this year...) that I may as well drop the $20 and save myself time and energy.
But then the guilt sets in. I can't help it. I am sure to win an award in heaven for "the most time spent over analyzing". For 3 of my kids it's over. Costumes are purchased. Money spent. I have put a certain four year old in and out of his costume so many times I am afraid the velcro will be gone before the 31st.
But for the last child the store bought Ninja did not reach his expectations of what a "Samurai Warrior" should look like. What do you think? Do I attempt it? Or call in Grandma anyway...


2 comments:
Call in grandma!
Cherie I needed a good laugh today! I love your comentary! Do not feel guilt...moms do WAY to much of that and Halloween costume are not worth it! Fell free to call nana. But the question is will she meet the expectations either!
Post a Comment