Monday, January 17, 2011

Sleep Patterns

(Colin circa 2005)
 
I was noticing recently how my kids sleeping styles mimic their personalities so well.
 
Sean: Tends to sleep facing the door with his eyes partially opened. Yes, open. He has done this all his life. That kid never wants to miss a second of life! He also sleeps shirtless. He is such an open book and doesn't care at all about approval from peers. What an awesome trait!

Brendan: Layers and layers of blankets, I counted 9 last night! He likes to tuck little treasures of his that he doesn't want to share around him. It may just be a Lego fireman, but since he is so worried about having to share he'll risk loosing it in that pile of blankets. Brendan has lived in a big blue hoodie and a hat for months now. Plus his long hair to hide behind. I think he likes to protection and warmth much like his blankets.

Colin: Speaking of kids who don't need approval. This sweet kid just needs to be comfortable while he sleeps. Which means nothing but undies. He needs his blankets just so and his night time routine not to be messed with. We start with layering the blankets in the proper order then move on to kissing hands (like from the book The Kissing Hand) then we snuggle our faces together and say goodnight. 
 
Finn: Finn, oh Finn. We start in a similar way to have I put Colin down. After all Finn really just wants to be like the big brothers! But then in true fashion the thing he seems to enjoy most is a good argument before bed. So every night we have a verbal "I love you more", "No, I love you more!" type fight. Then when you come to check on him while closing up for the night you will find him sleeping with his arms stretched way above his head, totally open to the world and ready to take on whatever the next day brings.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Cute post!

scubamom said...

Cute! Hmm...wonder what my sleep habits say!