If you are only checking in for updates on kids, then this will be very boring to you, because they are not in this today, at all! And that was the point of the whole trip. So come back another day if you want to hear how they are doing, because this is all about our 10th anniversary cruise on Royal Caribbeans 'Monarch of the Sea's"
Day 1: We leave real life behind and travel to San Pedro to board our ship. Since we boarded just about as soon as they would allow we had a few hours to kill before our stateroom was ready. So we explored the ship.
Here is when I talked Aaron into playing a game of 'War' with me. So maybe being a mom is not too far from my mind at this point, don't worry by day 2 I am completely out of it.

Day 2: I woke up early today. Like really early. It was before 5. And at 5:30 I just could not lay there in the dark another second. So I got up and put on my running clothes. I left a sleeping Aaron and headed toward the gym. I was sad to see I was up even before the gym was open and I almost gave up and came back to my room, but in my heart I knew there must be others like me who just needed to run! So I ventured up to the 11th deck and found them. Two runners and 2 walkers doing laps. It turned out to be one of my happiest experiences on the ship. When I started walking laps it was so dark you could not see where the water ended and the skyline began. Then I started to run, and it felt great. I have never run so far without taking a break. And the longer I ran the more at peace I felt. First I started seeing the lights from San Diego in the distance. Then they sky began turning a dark purple, and then a light purple and before I knew it the sun was up and so was the rest of the ship. Except for Aaron who was still sleeping. So I grabbed a magazine and went back up to watch the rest of the sunrise.
We are in San Diego! I suppose since we do get down this way a few times a year we were not acting too touristy. So sorry, not too many pic's to choose from. We did walk around Seaport Village and up to Horton's Plaza. The ship was so easy to come on and off of that we came back for lunch in between. Good thing, it was the only day lunch was served in the dining room on this cruise. Don't worry, no one starved!

Formal night! I can not tell you how much fun I had dressing up and acting all grown up like with Aaron.

There is a monkey hanging in my room! I remember loving the towel critters on the Alaskan cruise we went on in '03.

Day 3: Catalina island. Great, the one day we have paid for a shore excursion it is rainy and wet. However the weather is in our favor and as you'll see in the procession of the photos the sun did come out, quickly and was a lovely day.
One reason I was happy to be in Catalina was that it has no port, meaning the ship has to anchor out in the ocean and you take a tender onto the island. The reason I like this is because it was the one day that we were out in the water while the sun was out. The rest of the days we were in port from the time we woke up and the sun sat and we sailed away during our dinner.


That's our ship in the distance.


We really need to kayak more often. We really have enjoyed it the 2 times we have gone together and it seems very adventurous for us. Of course it would be even more adventurous if we went without a group...or a guide... but we had to start somewhere. This trip took us to a secluded rocky beach where we had a rest before venturing out on our own for the trip back. At the end of the blog is my sweetheart being the funny man he is recording me without my knowledge. So don't listen to me, I sound like a dork. More so than normal.





See, I told you weather got beautiful!
Day 2: I woke up early today. Like really early. It was before 5. And at 5:30 I just could not lay there in the dark another second. So I got up and put on my running clothes. I left a sleeping Aaron and headed toward the gym. I was sad to see I was up even before the gym was open and I almost gave up and came back to my room, but in my heart I knew there must be others like me who just needed to run! So I ventured up to the 11th deck and found them. Two runners and 2 walkers doing laps. It turned out to be one of my happiest experiences on the ship. When I started walking laps it was so dark you could not see where the water ended and the skyline began. Then I started to run, and it felt great. I have never run so far without taking a break. And the longer I ran the more at peace I felt. First I started seeing the lights from San Diego in the distance. Then they sky began turning a dark purple, and then a light purple and before I knew it the sun was up and so was the rest of the ship. Except for Aaron who was still sleeping. So I grabbed a magazine and went back up to watch the rest of the sunrise.
We are in San Diego! I suppose since we do get down this way a few times a year we were not acting too touristy. So sorry, not too many pic's to choose from. We did walk around Seaport Village and up to Horton's Plaza. The ship was so easy to come on and off of that we came back for lunch in between. Good thing, it was the only day lunch was served in the dining room on this cruise. Don't worry, no one starved!
Formal night! I can not tell you how much fun I had dressing up and acting all grown up like with Aaron.
Day 3: Catalina island. Great, the one day we have paid for a shore excursion it is rainy and wet. However the weather is in our favor and as you'll see in the procession of the photos the sun did come out, quickly and was a lovely day.
One reason I was happy to be in Catalina was that it has no port, meaning the ship has to anchor out in the ocean and you take a tender onto the island. The reason I like this is because it was the one day that we were out in the water while the sun was out. The rest of the days we were in port from the time we woke up and the sun sat and we sailed away during our dinner.
That's our ship in the distance.
We really need to kayak more often. We really have enjoyed it the 2 times we have gone together and it seems very adventurous for us. Of course it would be even more adventurous if we went without a group...or a guide... but we had to start somewhere. This trip took us to a secluded rocky beach where we had a rest before venturing out on our own for the trip back. At the end of the blog is my sweetheart being the funny man he is recording me without my knowledge. So don't listen to me, I sound like a dork. More so than normal.
See, I told you weather got beautiful!
Waiting for the tender to take us back to the ship



Apparently at the ripe old age of 28 kayaking is tiring and requires an afternoon nap. It would not be fair if I do not mention that we both napped just about every day of the cruise.


A puppy! Now I promised myself I would remember how to fold these towels and now only a week later it escapes me.

A puppy! Now I promised myself I would remember how to fold these towels and now only a week later it escapes me.
Three words....Midnight Chocolate buffet.
Day 4: Ensenada, Mexico. Despite saying we did not care if we got off the ship at all this day we did. And we ended up on a bus heading out to La Bufadora, or the blow hole. The whole trip took about 3 hours. But it was fun to see and we enjoyed some fish taco's overlooking a breathtaking view of the ocean. There is a video of the blow hole at the bottom as well.
We asked our table mates to take one last photo of us together. I meant to trust more strangers with my camera, but rarely did. So there are no spectacular shots, but plenty of great memories.
Day 5: Nothing to see here folks. Just packing up and waiting in lounges to get our color called to get off the ship.
It was a really great trip. I felt so reconnected to Aaron and as bad as it may sound it was nice to not be the 'mommy' for a few days. We enjoyed the shows, the food and strangely we spent 3 of 4 night listening to karaoke singers- and we enjoyed it!
Just one question, why did I get off the ship?! I miss having my towels picked up and my bed made twice a day. Not to mention the food, the wonderful, delicious food. Oh and when I brought food to my room at night the plates just vanished. Yes, I need to cruise more often...

2 comments:
Thanks for finally posting that! We enjoyed it!
"gotta burn off that enormous cookie"
What a great get a way! I am sooooo glad you could go. And yes sometimes it needs to be about you! Your boys deserve a fun and refreshed mom!
Post a Comment