Friday, April 24, 2009

Night Owl

I am often asked about my job and what it is exactly that I do. Families with newborn twins and triplets hire me to come in and take care of the babies so they can sleep. Yes, the parents are home. But having newborn multiples is very tiring and they hire me to get much needed rest so they can care for their babies again the next day. Mostly I feed, change and comfort the babies so they remain as quiet as possible and their needs are met. I do baby related chore likes folding tiny laundry and prepping/sterilizing bottles. I also help families get their babies into good sleeping and eating routines. I sleep when I can but it usually adds up to no more than 2-3 hours so I come home and sleep for a few more.
A friend recently asked how I can stay up all night and I hated telling her the truth. It is pretty darn easy for me. I love staying up late. Mostly I read alot. The family I am with now has me in their living room with a sweet tv that they don't mind is on all night. So I watch tv late into the night. The hard part for me is driving home at 6 in the morning while the freeway is full of commuters, wide eyed (or well caffeinated) and aggressively hogging the lanes. Then I come home, spent a few minutes with the kids and I crawl into my bed for a few hours.
But the best part of the job is spending time with tiny babies, and then handing them over to their parents in the morning when I get too tired.

5 comments:

Monika said...

I am so glad u r enjoying your job & glad that u can get some rest at home too. :)

Amber said...

I was thinking about hiring you as my night nanny this summer, what would you charge for a commute like that?

gtanderson1 said...

i wish i had or have you to help me with my triplets at night. I only get no more than 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Do you have any tips to get them to sleep through the night? Also how much would something like this charge?

4handfulls said...

My best tip is probably something you already know- when one wakes up to eat wake up the other to eat right after. It's natural to want to let them sleep, but it's the best way for you to get the biggest stretch in between.

I feel for you! The last family I did with triplets was really hard for me. Now I am with a twin family and I laugh at myslef that I think it is easy! When I had my twins I would never had said caring for twins at night was easy!

I know fees vary by area. In OC where I mostly have worked the going rate for triplets is $30-$45 an hour.

4handfulls said...

My best tip is probably something you already know- when one wakes up to eat wake up the other to eat right after. It's natural to want to let them sleep, but it's the best way for you to get the biggest stretch in between.

I feel for you! The last family I did with triplets was really hard for me. Now I am with a twin family and I laugh at myslef that I think it is easy! When I had my twins I would never had said caring for twins at night was easy!

I know fees vary by area. In OC where I mostly have worked the going rate for triplets is $30-$45 an hour.