What in the world was I thinking?! The run is next Saturday. I was feeling pretty good about it until the girl I am doing it with sent me this. Guess I better go running with wet shoes tomorrow!
I know this is long but here's a list of hints and tips for the mud run that I posted to another one of my moms group that is doing the run.
Carbs are better before the race. It provides quick fuel. Protein is better as post-race food as it takes longer to digest. Additional advice:
* If it is cold in the early a.m. you might want to wear an extra layer on top that you don't mind losing. At past races people would toss their extra t-shirts to the sideline and they were all donated to the homeless.Hopefully the Marines will do this too. If is is cold don't be surprised to see people wearing trash bags at the start. It looks weird but it works!
* Eat a good dinner on Friday or Saturday night. It will help in the morning.
* Make sure you get plenty of sleep on Friday or Saturday night. Friday or Saturday night you may not sleep well and of course you will be up early. The most important day to get sleep is two nights before the event.
GOOD TO KNOW Tips for Mud Run Virgins.
We all need help with performance and techniques and these are my suggestions. Yes, some wear goggles and some duct tape their shoes, but I don't recommend either.
MY RECOMMENDATIONS include: - wear old running shoes & old clothes during the race and throw them away afterwards
- wear tight, small clothes; I wear a tight, square-cut swimsuit; avoid thick cottons that will absorb and hold water and mud and add weight
- don't duct tape your shoes, just double-tie your laces
- wear ankle socks
- don't wear goggles or sunglasses
- if you are serious about your race time, arrive to the start line early and try to start at the front of the race
- contacts can be a pain when mud gets in your eyes
- take pics before and after the race
- ask for help along the route when you need it, there are lots of volunteers around
- don't bring valuables to the race
- drink the water they offer along the route
- listen to your body and take breaks as you need them
- train on dirt, sand and run hills and stairs
- when you crawl through the tunnels and under the wires, do a bear crawl; do not crawl on your knees; you will scrape them on small rocks
- there may be unexpected divits and holes in the creeks and in the mud pits; proceed with caution
- don't walk or slow jog down big hills, run and pass other competitors with caution
- first-time Mud Runners may want to run with a friend
- don't run through the middle of the creeks or mud pits where they can get deep; run along the shallowest sides (edges) of the water obstacles
- practice some running in wet shoes and wet clothes; jump in the ocean or a pool and then go for a five-mile run
- bring a towel for the showers Race Bib - don't forget this one! And some extra safety pins
Drivers LicenceDrivers
– proof of insurance/registration to get on the base
Waterproof camerasunscreen, chapstick and aquaphorBanana and Power Bar (Race starts at 9am - I know I'll get hungry if I wake up at 4am!)
WaterTowelFull change of clothes - don't forget underwear!Flip flops/change of shoes for showerAlso, wear something you don’t mind showering publicly in… Last year I took off my tank top and kept my black (NOT white) sports bra on. You will be showering under an open canopy with lots of other people (men and women) in COLD lake water. Not the cleanest, but much better than no shower!! J Ziplock bag for wet,dirty clothes and shoes Emergency cashSweatshirt to donate if it’s coolI’m leaving my earrings and wedding ring at home
Tampons – BUMMER
Yes, for the cash, they will have food, drinks and beer there, so if you think you’ll be hungry or want to hang out a little for the festivities after that’s a good idea. Another good tip is put on what you think you may want to run in and get wet in the shower. Then go for a jog to see how it feels. Shoes and all.
6 years ago

5 comments:
Yikes!!!!!! I wish we could do that together, it wouldn't seem as scary if you had a buddy the whole time. Good luck!
Good luck Cherie. I know you'll do great.
Wow! you go girl! i will be excited to hear all about it!
Once I was scared to life.
After talking to the girls I am doing the run with last night I am feeling better. It sounds like we all have the attitude of not making it a race, but just wanting to finish.
Post a Comment