Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My dirty little secret

I finished reading a magazine article this week that was about a mom who revealed to her friends that she had a favorite child. Yes, she said it, out loud! And her friends looked at her in horror.



"Imagine you have two husbands" She says. "One sits in his underpants all day, scratching himself and drinking beer in front of the television. The other one brings you flowers, tells you you're beautiful and fascinating, and hangs on every word. Which one would you want to sleep with?"



I'm sure I'll get some e-mails on how horrible I am that I too have a favorite child. But really the point for me is that it changes often, usually multiple times in a day. Of course I favor the son who is acting kind and loving. Who is not too demanding but wants to spend time with me. While I am changing my umpteenth poopy diaper of the morning Finn is not my favorite! When Colin wants to play the first game of the afternoon I am (usually) happy to oblige and love that he is at an age where I am still his good friend. When he asks to play Candyland for an hour straight I am not so into the time with him. Sean and Brendan are usually competing for the top 2 spots (can you blame me, they get themselves food, can clean up for themselves and are moderately nice to their brothers) but on a day like today where we are struggling to get 20 minutes of homework done without a fight, I'd rather change that diaper anytime.



The article quotes a comedian saying "Taking care of kids is laughably easy, provided you don't try to do anything else". And when you multiply that times 4, it really becomes more than a full time job.

1 comment:

Monika said...

I know what u mean.....even though I have only one.