A few weeks ago one of my little angel twins was rather grumpy and unhappy with some of my parenting. My response was to tell him that I remembered that when I was a kid I did not always like my parents rules either. An there were many things I would do differently; my house would never be too hot or too cold, no canned zucchini in tomato sauce... you know basically I would be perfect. So in keeping with the theme of raising better parents than ourselves I had them write and draw a picture about a rule they would have in their house when they were a grownup. They wrote so lightly in pencil that it is not scanning clear. Bummer.
Brendan: When I'm a grownup one of the rules in my house will be "You can stay up as long as I want." (with a picture of a tv, because that's what he said he'll do while staying up)
Sean: When I am a grown up I will go out every night. (picture of him under the stars)
Colin: When I grow up I'm going to buy all the cats. (picture of 'blue Gilligan')
And Finn scribbled, what do you expect, he's 2.
What's something you planned to do differently from your parents?
6 years ago

3 comments:
I plan to make chocolate gravy EVERY weekend.
When I grow up I plan on not having any kids so I won't end up being the worst mom the world has ever seen :-)
What a great thing to ask the boys! Although I am sure I had strong ideas when I was a kid I can't recall anything in particular. I do know life wasn't fair and I often told my parents so. But I do know when I was a teenager and a young married person I was sure I would be the perfect parent! Of course you learn right away as a parent there is no such thing and if you were the perfect parent for one child it would not be perfect for another! I think what amazes me the most about "growing up" is in many ways I have become my parents! When I was younger that thought would have horrified me...but today at my ripe old age I have decided it is actually a good thing and a hopefully a compliment to my parents parenting!
Post a Comment