Saturday, November 22, 2008

Our special Fish



Colin has had a heck of a week with medical issues. Colin has apraxia (a speech disorder) as well as an autism diagnoses. Not everyone agrees with the ASD, but we do all agree that the kid has major social issues. He has been taken in through the state for preschool to help with the social and speech and without much notice we have had to update his immunization record right away. Briefly he has had a flu shot, the flu, a shot to stop the vomiting from the flu, a TB test, a finger stick and blood drawn. And all on different days. So he has had 5 separate visits in less than 10 days where a needle has scared him to death. But yesterday he also had to pee in a cup. The older boys think that's great, but Colin gave me that 'I don't think so ' look and I knew it was going to take extra prodding. I mean I can hold him down for a shot, but if he won't pee what can I do??? I offered candy, toys and money. But he had another idea. A fish. Not just any fish but a green, tan and black camo fish. Sure, I promised him! Anything you want! But when we got to Wal-Mart he knew what he wanted right away. It is a pearl scaled goldfish. It basically looks like a tiny goldfish that swallowed a marble. It's fins are so tiny and his body is so round. Which makes him look funny all on his own, but it gets better. He only has one eye. Colin scanned the options at the store, looked up and said "I want the balloon fish with one eye!". So that's what we came home with.
And don't ask if he pee'd in the cup willingly. I had to use some sneaky super-mom powers and steal the sample right from under him.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Poor Colin. But I want to see a picture of the fish!

The Bailey Boys said...

Hugs for Colin!!! What a trooper! hopefully next week he will get a rest :)

4handfulls said...

We tried to get pic's, but they all came out blurry. I'll try again soon.

Yeah, poor Colin is right. He threw up again last night out of nowhere adn seems fine again today.

nana_sherri said...

So is the fish still alive?

4handfulls said...

Yes, the fish is doign well. He quickly became the favorite fish around here.